This is one of the first pieces with real detail that I finished back in 2009. It took me about a year and a half, and it's only about 15cm wide and 20cm long. It's in petit point, with 32 stitches in each direction to every inch. Tiny, and about 120 colours if I remember right.
This is the opposite in size! I think it's at least a metre wide. It's huge. It took me about two and a half years, I remember trying very hard to get it done in the dying week of 2009 so that I didn't have to change the date of when it was stitched (which is part of the piece) again (already done in 2007 and 2008) but I failed and eventually finished it on the 5th of 6th of January 2010. I duly fixed the date! The threads used in this are all hand dyed which gives it a beautiful rustic feel, as well as a lot of variation in colour. One of the nice things about it was that I could choose which section of the thread (as it was dyed different colours in different sections) to create certain effects, like the graded colours in the fire flowers in the bottom section. I probably spent TOO much time doing that bit...but it mattered to me at the time!
This is the abstract floral with embroidery stitches from all around the world with embroidery stitches from the UK, Scandanavia, Russia, the Ukraine, Romania and Hungary. There is some cross stitch here, and the dark green borders of the sections are cross stitch, but most of what's used are much less commonly used, and most of them I hadn't used before or hadn't used in the variations found in this piece. I'm learning a lot and having a lot of fun. The colours are my own choices and I'm happy with the paster Easter-egg sorts of colours that I chose. It makes it very spring-like. Eventually it will be symmetrical, with the same geometric shapes reflected across the design, but different types of embroidery stitches within those shapes.